The Yellow BB


It started off like any other Sunday. I slept in, Hubby bathed and fed the little ones (I know, I’m totally lazy and spoiled), and I woke up just in time to get ready, help get the girls get ready, and head to church. Even though the talk in Sacrament Meeting was really good, I still had a hard time keeping my eyes open (I guess 11 hours of sleep isn’t enough!). When it came time for Primary, I was rushing around trying to help things with the kids go smoothly, take roll, make birthday cards, and take my girls potty (again). By the time I finally got a minute to sit down, my oldest son, who is 11 1/2 years old, came up to me, shaking, and said, “I’m scared.”  I’m thinking, What happened? Has he been threatened?What’s going on?  

What happened?”  I asked.

To which he responded, “I have a yellow BB stuck in my ear.”


“I have a yellow BB stuck in my ear.”

“Well, why are you scared?” I asked.

“Because I have a yellow BB stuck in my ear.”


First of all, he is eleven-and-a-half years old.  Second, how did that even happen? Third, he is ELEVEN-AND-A-HALF years old! Fourth, I love that he continued to insist that the BB was yellow, as if that was helpful. Fifth, HE IS ELEVEN-AND-A-FREAKING-HALF YEARS OLD!!!

“How did that happen?!” I whisper because we are still in church.

“It fell in.”

Oh OK then, that explains it…

Upon further interrogation he elaborated that he was holding the (yellow) BB close to his ear and it just “fell in.” He apparently then proceeded to dig for it, at which point it got further lodged in the ear.

I seriously had no idea what to do. Tweezers were suggested, but I didn’t want to push the yellow BB further in. I thought I should probably take him to Urgent Care, but I wasn’t sure if I should wait until the end of church or go immediately. This was kind of an emergency, but I didn’t want to be panicked.

When an emergency happens my mind goes blank and all logic and power of reason go completely out the window. I tried calling Hubby so that he could tell me what to do but he was at meetings. Thank goodness a friend of ours asked me what was going on. I told him what had happened and he unwittingly took up Hubby’s role of telling me what to do in a time of crisis, although buffering it with a conciliatory, “but it’s your choice.”

“If I were you I’d go to Urgent Care right now, but it’s your choice.”

“We can watch your kids so you don’t have to bring them with you, but it’s your choice.”

Should I bring the second oldest with me?  “I wouldn’t, but it’s your choice.”

I can’t even express how grateful I was for the voice of reason that essentially told me what to do, even if it was “my choice.”  Not to mention the fact that he and his wife watched 3 of my kids all afternoon in addition to their own 3!

Thankfully we got J-Dub in to see the Dr. right away and the Dr. took a tiny little scooper thingy and scooped out that dang yellow BB in like, 2 seconds.

It was such a relief.  The whole ride to the Dr., which took about 40 minutes, J-Dub was completely silent except for the occasional, “Is it going to hurt?”  And the minute we left the Dr. he wouldn’t stop talking, he was so happy.

And the yellow BB is in the trash.


0 thoughts on “The Yellow BB

  1. Boy, this sounds so familiar! Except in our case, my son was 10 and it was a dried pea up the nose. It was also a Sunday and he had gotten a dried pea as part of a Primary lesson. He was messing around and pretended to put it up his nose when someone bumped his arm and he really put it up his nose (not sure if I fully believe that one!). Well, he didn’t tell anyone about it until about 9 that night, when he started complaining of an extra bone in his nose (?) and after much questioning on my part (he didn’t want Dad to hear this), I got to what really happened. Well, after all this time, the dried pea wasn’t so dry anymore and had swelled up quite a bit. This is the kid that gets bloody noses just by thinking about it, so you can imagine the mess we created trying to get it out. No luck. I ended up taking him to the Instacare at 9:30 at night to get this thing out if his nose. Much crying (him), sneezing blood all over the nice doctor’s white coat, and laughing (me), it was finally out. What an ordeal. I’m still laughing over it!

  2. Glad they got it out. I remember when I was volunteering at VOE, Matt came out of the classroom and told me his ears were stuffy. The playground noise had been bothering him so he twisted/wadded up kleenex balls and stuffed them in BOTH ear canals. Suzanne in the nurse’s office couldn’t get it with the tweezers, so it was down to Kaiser Fontana Injury Clinic.

    I tell ya, if I couldn’t find the humor in these things – I’d be crying a lot~! ;o)

    Oh, and then there was the time in Kindergarten when he swallowed one of those little sponge capsules that expand into a small duck or whatever. He got out of the shower and told me “I need to go to the hospital…”. Pediatric Urgent Care, 2 cups of apple juice and he was fine. Honestly, after the doc visit was over, Matthew’s teacher and I were so excited that he actually used a full sentence – this was back when he didn’t talk. Ahh, good times…. (NOT!)


Gift Center